Youth Voices Against Violence Audio Contest **NEW DEADLINE: DECEMBER 15TH!!
Share Your Story // Win $500
ATTENTION CREATIVE ARTISTS AGES 14 to 25: produce an original audio piece --5 minutes or less-- that demonstrates the urgent need for violence awareness and prevention, and you can win $500!
**EXTENDED DEADLINE: Midnight, December 15, 2013
What we’re looking for:
- spoken word / poetry
- music / freestyles
- documentary / interviews
- autobiographical / personal essay
- skits / dialogue
- listen to these example audio projects created by our youth judges
- listen to the winning audio projects from last year
- check out our Youth Voices Against Violence Prezi
- document the life of someone coping with the effects of violence
- identify and dispel stereotypes and misunderstandings society has about violence
- identify a specific example of hope, a positive story about real people or community groups that will inspire
- recite a truthful letter or powerful message to yourself or others
- acknowledge your role in activism against youth violence
- maybe even try use humor or satire to make a thoughtful and entertaining piece
Grant Awards are open to young people--age 14-25--who are currently not paid professionals in their field OR any media maker who is neither employed full time as a staff radio/multimedia journalist, musician or deriving significant income as a freelancer in those fields. Multiple persons can apply as a team, but only one grant will be awarded, to be split among applicants. Additionally, due to the sensitivity of the topic, youth under the age of 14 can apply, but must do so as a group supervised by an adult, who will post all entries from their account.
All entries must be original work and must have been created or first published within the last 12 months. All entries or components of entries must be publishable. (Cursing is acceptable if used appropriately and not for disrespect.) The work is not eligible if you invade someone's privacy, promised it would not be published or did not obtain informed consent in the case of minors and/or people of diminished capacity. Due to the nature of this project, it is required that all applicants obtain consent from participants of their projects.
Judges will choose one Grand Prize Project to receive a grant award of $500. This first place audio piece will be featured prominently on PugetSoundOff.org, as well as published locally. Two Awards of Excellence will each receive a grant award of $250 and will be featured online.
How to Apply
Deadline: 11:59 (PST) DECEMBER 15, 2013
1. Create an account on PugetSoundOff.org
- It is important to fill out personal information in full, including accurate name, email, age and mailing address. This helps us in contacting the winners!
2. Join the Youth Voices Against Violence group: pugetsoundoff.org/youthviolence
- Click the “Join” button at the bottom of the “Group Options” list on the right.
3. Post your audio piece as a blog entry on the Youth Voices Against Violence group page
- From the Youth Voices Against Violence page, select “Create Blog entry.” From there you can give your project a title, upload an MP3 of your audio piece and upload your square cover art. (Tip: For the image, don’t forget to click “Insert” after uploading!) If you need to convert your audio to an MP3 see tips here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550
Post your audio piece to PugetSoundOff.org by
11:59 (PST), DECEMBER 15, 2013.
Contact Niki Warncke // firstname.lastname@example.org // 206.382.5013 x2114