A Call for Audio Projects! CONTEST CLOSED--JUDGING IN PROGRESS
CONTEST CLOSED--WINNERS ANNOUNCED JANUARY 31, 2013
Youth Voices Against Violence
A Call for Audio Projects
Applicants are asked to produce an audio piece--5 minutes or less--that demonstrates the urgent need for youth violence awareness.
What we’re looking for:
- documentary / interviews
- autobiographical / personal essay
- skits / dialogue
- spoken word / poetry
- combination of all styles!
- document the life of an individual or group coping with the effects of youth violence
- identify and dispel stereotypes and misunderstandings society has about youth violence
- identify a specific example of hope, a positive story about real people or community groups that will inspire listeners
- recite a truthful letter or powerful message to yourself or others about youth violence
- acknowledge your role in activism against youth violence and raise your voice!
- maybe even try to write a comedy skit or use satire to make a thoughtful and entertaining piece
Please listen to audio pieces by some of our Youth Voices Against Violence judges. You can hear them at pugetsoundoff.org/youthviolence/audio
What we’re not looking for:
- over-dramatized re-enactments
- blatant advertisements for organizations or policy-makers
- long-winded rants: 5 minutes is a lot of time! Try to keep it even shorter than that
- media you didn’t make or get permission to use
- videos: We just want your voice!
- disrespectful speech and hate, words inciting violence or expressing blatant bigotry
Who is Eligible
Tabu/Puget SoundOff Social Action Grant Awards are open to young people--age 15-25--who are currently not paid professionals in their field OR any media maker who is neither employed full time as a staff radio/multimedia journalist, musician or deriving significant income as a freelancer in those fields. Multiple persons can apply as a team, but only one grant will be awarded, to be split among applicants. Additionally, due to the sensitivity of the topic, youth under the age of 15 can apply, but must do so as a group sponsored by an adult.
All entries must be original work and must have been created or first published within the last 12 months. All entries or components of entries must be publishable. (Cursing is acceptable if used appropriately and not for disrespect.) The work is not eligible if you invade someone's privacy, promised it would not be published or did not obtain informed consent in the case of minors and/or people of diminished capacity. Due to the nature of this project, it is required that all applicants obtain consent from participants of their projects.
Judges will choose one Grand Prize Project to receive a grant award of $500. This first place audio piece will be featured prominently on Puget SoundOff and TabuTalk.org as well as published locally. Two Awards of Excellence will each receive a grant award of $250 and will be featured online.
How to Apply
Deadline: 11:59 (EST) DECEMBER 31, 2012
1. Create an account on PugetSoundOff.org
It is important to fill out personal information in full, including accurate name, email, age and mailing address. This helps us in contacting the winners!
2. Join the Youth Voices Against Violence group: pugetsoundoff.org/youthviolence
Click the “Join” button at the bottom of the “Group Options” list on the right.
3. Share your audio piece in a blog on Puget SoundOff
From the Youth Voices Against Violence page, select “Create Blog entry.” From there you can give your project a title, upload an MP3 of your audio piece and upload your square cover art. (Tip: For the image, don’t forget to click “Insert” after uploading!) If you need to convert your audio to an MP3 see tips here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550
OR... Record your project in a voicemail!
The Youth Voices Against Violence phone line is open for all levels of participation! Record your project over voicemail by calling (206) 588-5457. Judges will award the top 20 voicemail entries with $20 gift cards! Please make sure you leave us your full name and a current mailing address in the message.
POST YOUR AUDIO PIECE to Puget SoundOff by
11:59 (EST), DECEMBER 31, 2012.
Colleen McDevitt at email@example.com